Submitted by jean-paul on Sun, 05/21/2017 - 16:12
Genius Mousepen 8x6

So I've got this graphics tablet. A Genius WP-8060U. I got it at an electronics clearinghouse for I think $30 a number of years ago, which because I was using Linux at the time, the purchase was a bit of a gamble. I found the Wizardpen project online and signed up as a tester, so I was able to get it working most of the time. That project died, and support for those drivers was picked up at some point by the Digimend project. Unfortunately that project has also recently been abandoned, but in trying to get it to work, I realized that part of my struggle was due to the way that the old wizardpen driver was set up. I was able to install the Digimend driver deb package, but I couldn't make it work. I then read that there had been updates to the digimend drivers' source that weren't in the deb package I had installed, so I removed the deb, ensuring the module was gone, and compiled the digimend source. The hid-uclogic module was inserted without issue, and I could see the device's events using "sudo evtest" and choosing my tablet. It reported movement and pressure, no problem. But when I ran "xinput list" to see input devices, it wasn't there! Not surprisingly, I also didn't get any feedback results from xev.

The next part is why I love Linux. I looked in the logs. I started with dmesg, which showed the device being inserted. No problem. Then I went for Xorg.0.log and bingo. There was an error!

[  1320.485] (II) config/udev: Adding input device UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U Mouse (/dev/input/event16)
[  1320.485] (**) UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[  1320.485] (**) UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
[  1320.485] (**) UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U Mouse: Applying InputClass "wizardpen"
[  1320.485] (II) LoadModule: "wizardpen"
[  1320.486] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/
[  1320.486] (II) Module wizardpen: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1320.486]    compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 0.8.1
[  1320.486]    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[  1320.486]    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 20.0
[  1320.486] (EE) module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (22)
[  1320.486] (II) UnloadModule: "wizardpen"
[  1320.486] (II) Unloading wizardpen
[  1320.486] (EE) Failed to load module "wizardpen" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
[  1320.486] (EE) No input driver matching `wizardpen'

Attempts were being made to insert the Wizardpen driver for use in X, but I hadn't tried to use it in a long while, and it was too outdated. I then realized that Wizardpen used manual udev rules to load the driver! The offending file is located in /etc/udev/rules.d and was in my case called 67-xorg-wizardpen.rules and the fix just involved changing the driver name from wizardpen to hid_uclogic for the appropriate devices. It's likely removing the file entirely would also work, and would likely be more appropriate, but as it's actually working, I'll let it go. This tablet might be on its last legs if the digimend project stays abandoned, but not yet! Not yet!