Here is my basic procedure for setting up a new Drupal site. I'm using Drupal 7.## and my server configuration may vary from yours, so these might not be appropriate instructions for everyone. Also, don't use the links. They're just examples!
- change to DocumentRoot container (I symlink from /var/www to each site's folder).
- wget http://ftp.drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-7.22.tar.gz and untar.
- mv drupal-#.## newsitename
- sudo ln -s /path/to/DocRootContainer/newsitename /var/www/
- sudo cp /etc/apache2/sites-available/template /etc/apache2/sites-available/newsitename
- sudo vim /etc/apache2/sites-available/newsitename -->(basically I just have to set the ServerName, DocumentRoot, Directory, CustomLog and ErrorLog directives.)
- sudo chown -R www-data.myusername /path/to/DocRootContainer/newsitename
- log in to phpmyadmin and create a new user with privileges on a new database
- sudo a2ensite newsitename
- sudo vim /var/www/newsitename/.htaccess -->(Enable forwarding of www.newdomainname.com to newdomainname.com, which reduces "duplicate" content hits by web-crawlers)
- sudo service apache2 restart
- add entry to /etc/hosts -->(point domain to ip until the site is ready to go live, at which point an A-Record is created at my domain registrar for the site.
- go to the site, and follow the prompts to complete the install.
Let me know if I've missed something critical!